Friday, October 22, 2010

Don't label me - Don't Pigeon hole your advertising



I talk with a lot of business owners who are "snooty". They think their customer wouldn't watch that program. Example, I have a boat guy who says I can only advertise on fishing programs or sportscenter cause that is where they guys are.
As a reminder you can target your audience not only through the program your in, but more importantly what your commercial says. Do you think I could attract a boat owner in Judge Judy by saying something like this: "Do you have a boat, Do you have a boat problem, if so call ACME boat repair" That is how you use the creative of the commercial to target your message. I won't even get into the people who say they can only advertise on HGTV for people who want to remodel..... this makes me cringe for so many reasons......
Last point, how do you label me, who's customer am I, am i your market? I am a 31 year old male, watch judge Judy, watch evening news, married, like tools, have a boat, own a honda, own a buick, own a diesel truck, have a pregnant wife, thinking about cribs now, like to read, like to ride bikes, have a motorcycle license, hate to mow lawn, like to hike, hate poor service, like to write, and not originally from TN. So who's target market do i fall into???? A lot of them!
Not sure i had point to this....oh yeah, don't pigeon hole your advertising because you are "too good" to talk to someone else....

No comments:

Post a Comment