Friday, April 3, 2009

How do you track your advertising?


I have a tough job in advertising sales. (insert tears here) Nobody wants to buy advertising, and consumers don't like to say it works on them!
However I need to be accountable that my clients are getting good ROI.
The last time a business asked about how you heard about them, what did you tell them? Did you tell them that you saw them in the newspaper 8 months ago, then saw them on TV a few months ago, checked out there website a few weeks ago, and today you went to the yellow and picked their business instead of all the others from all of the previous contacts you have had with the business? Or did you simply say I got your # from the yellow pages?
As consumers we don't like to admit that advertising works on us, because we are all stronger than any creative commercial.
Your different advertising mediums should all benefit each other if you have similar messages. Your TV should benefit your direct mail, your website should benefit your newspaper.
The best way to track your advertising success is by the sound of your CASH REGISTER!

1 comment:

  1. As someone who works in the biz, I make it a point to tell someone that I came to their business because of....

    While on vacation one year I had an eye infection and used the yellow pages to find an eye doctor. I then told him that it was that ad that brought me in...

    While in Myrtle Beach (can't remember if it was the same trip or not) the kids and I were watching the Local Origination channel that runs all the ads and stories of the local businesses, we saw a restaurant that they wanted to try out, so we went. As I was checking out, I told the young lady to pass on to her boss that the Channel 12, 51, whatever channel it was, that advertising worked because that's why we were there!

    Point is, it's nice to let the businesses KNOW that their advertising is WHY you were there. Of course the increased sales might be an indication too.

    Good Subject Andrew!

    ReplyDelete